In Syracuse, where I go to school, the city buses all use cleaner fuels, the mall has special parking spots for green vehicles and a lot of local businesses are "going green." It's comforting to see these things happening back home.
Bonnaroo tried really hard to be green...printing information on recycled paper, making vendors use biodegradable plastic ware, using electric golf cars and police horses to cut down on emissions, etc. But it was always a side point...it was like "here's some great music, oh and don't pollute." Its exciting that the folks at Rothbury have made it a main event. Even the majority of their advertisers have started their own green initiatives (including GM-- check out the "Green" section on www.gmnext.com).
Oh and how cool is this...Rothbury has a "Greening Chief" in charge of making sure that the festival really is "green" and a "zero-waste concert." What a title--I want to be the greening chief! Also, I hope I don't come across too nerdy in saying that I'd really like to go to some of the think tank discussions on alternative fuel and climate change.
It seems ironic, however, that there's a parking lot for RVs. While musicians, performers or sponsors (etc.) may actually need the space and technology of an RV, I really think its a bit silly for a regular festival goer to be hauling an RV to Rothbury. I get it, I get it, you want a shower, a real bathroom, plenty of space. But seriously, how about pitching the tent with us common folk? It's four days, no one's asking you to move to Rothbury. Why not save some fuel, turn those engines off and enjoy the great outdoors?
Okay, that's the end of my rant. Whatever your lodging situation at Rothbury, it's time to get pumped... and start the countdown....7 DAYS!!
The one thing missing (for the most part) at Roo...trees and woods! I can't wait to see Rothbury's "Sherwood Forest"

No comments:
Post a Comment