Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Welcome!

Hi and welcome to my blog!

Even though I just got back from Bonnaroo and I'm really itching to talk about it, I'll hold off and deal with the formalities first.

My name is Lauren Migaki, I'm a twenty year-old Detroit native. I'm about to be a junior at Syracuse University and I'm proud to say that I haven't exactly figured out my major yet, but it'll have something to do with communications.

This summer, GM's hooking me up with festival tickets to Rothbury (Michigan) and Lollapalooza (Chicago) as a part of GMNext's PlugIn (you can link to them here: http://www.gmnext.com/PlugIn/Default.aspx). In exchange for the tickets, I'm blogging about the festivals and the music.

As I said in my bio, I'm no music elitist. I don't know the most indie-underground, super exclusive alternative bands. But I do know music...

I grew up with Motown, got sucked into a little bit of the boy band (Hanson/Backstreet Boys/etc) craze (and luckily grew out of it). In middle school I ventured off of the pop music path and fell in love with punk rock/rock/pop punk and some metal. I eventually tired of only listening to rock so in high school I began incorporating more indie, folk, classic rock and hip-hop onto my playlists. Since then I guess you could also say I've dabbled in electronica, blues, jazz music but I've really only skimmed the surface.

Basically, I like a lot of different kinds of music, but I'm easily distracted and never fully immerse myself in one genre. I like it better that way...I like the whole spectrum of music. Lucky for you, that means that I'll be writing about as many different bands from different genres as I can manage to see while at Rothbury and Lollapalooza.

As I also said, I just got back from Bonnaroo...even though GM didn't "sponsor" the festival, a lot of the same artists will be at Rothbury and Lollapalooza. It's a good platform for comparison, so I'll be writing about that as well.

Anyways, that's more than enough about me for now....I'll be updating with Bonnaroo stories and photos later :)

-Lauren

No comments: